As some of you will be aware, vRA6 will be end of life support by the end of 2017 and as a result i was tasked with deploying a POC for vRA / vRO 7.3 in order to check if our current vRO code was compatible. I expected to see some challenges as we are heavily reliant on vRO for our Service Catalog, however one specific issue I did not expect caught me out.
As part of our Private Cloud offering, we use vRO to request a catalog item rather than vRA. The overall workflow also contains many post request actions such as deploying agents, resetting default passwords etc. All of these rely on the successful deployment passing us the hostname after the catalog request completes. After setting up the POC and running a test deployment I noticed that although the request was successful, the overall Workflow was failing. Looking deeper I saw some differences in the completion details of vRA7.
In vRA6, we used to get the following, where “tyler-prefix04” is the hostname of the newly created VM: